Hi from Houston Texas (home of George W!!!)
We arrived in Houston last Wednesday for Jill to attend the 'International Quilt Festival' - her & 55,999 other quilters!!! It is unbelievable - quilting is a 3.3 BILLION dollar business in the USA a year!!! I (Lyn) went for the first 3 days, but have 'escaped' today to update this blog in Jill's absence!!! She has trotted off each day armed with her 'tote' bags!!!! (what is it about quilters & their bags!!! - why does she have to have 3!!!!!!)
I have to admit that even I have enjoyed it!!! The quilts on display are wonderful works of art & the stalls that sell everything quilting are amazing!!! The convention centre where it is held is about twice as big as ours & it is bursting at the seems for this event!!! This is the biggest convention held here each year.
I will now confess that I went to the 'fashion show' held as part of the festival (imagine me at a fashion show - the women who thinks fashion is only sporting attire or anything that goes with RM Williams boots!!!!) - it was amazing - I could not believe the works of art! Jill thinks she has died & gone to quilting heaven! Sue M - you would love the 'art work' quilts - I have never seen such creativity!
At the B & B where we are staying are a wonderful group of Texan women who are here for the festival - they have been the best fun - last night we all sat around in our pj's having "show & tell" until 12.30pm laughing like a bunch of school girls! Easy to see how it is a 3.3 billion dollar business when you see how much they all bought! Jill was so jealous that they could just load it into their cars to go home!! Jill sent a box of things home this morning & is under a threat of death not to buy anything today - I think I am kidding myself!
I of course have come up with lots of great ideas for her to make for me when we get home!!!! We have managed to conquor the public transport system here - only $2 for a ticket you can use for 24 hours to go absolutely anywhere you like!!!! You can also put your bike on the front for free!!! We have seen that all over the US & Canada - what the hell is wrong with our system at home!!!
We are off to Toronto in Canada tomorrow lunchtime for our next adventure.
The time is flying by - we hope the weather improves for you all before we get home & that there is some rain!
Please keep the comments coming on the blog - we absolutely love getting them (believe it or not, we do have the odd "homesick" day!!!)
Will talk to you from Canada soon!!!!
Can't load any photos - using the free internet at the Houston Library - funny isn't it - I have lived in my house for over 20 years & don't have a library card for my local library, but I now have a houston card!!


2 Comments:
Hi, girls. Thanks for all the great photos and news. You're obviously having a ball. I'm very envious about Houston: went yesterday to the Adelaide quilt and craft show and didn't see anything I hadn't seen last year - disappointing. Still no rain here. And I totally agree with the comment about the plaits!! Cheers, Christine.
'ozzie, ozzie,ozzie....oy, oy, oy' is that right?
Hello from Richmond,Virginia.
I just wanted to let you know the "Southern Belles" are still following your blog and enjoying your adventures.
We are so envious Nancy and I will take our pitiful 2 week US vacation to cruise Alaska.
Post a Comment
<< Home