Jill and Lyn's Great Escape

Sunday, November 26, 2006

Bergen Norway

Hi all
Jill here...I have recovered from my malaise...thanks to Lyn's nursing skills (she made me say that!)...shittiest time I've had for a while!!! And today Lyn had me walking for miles and miles...6 hours....and I'm about done in. We went up the Furnicular (and I'm not swearing)...a electric tram car that goes straight up the mountain overlooking Bergen. When we got to the top it started to pour with rain (what's new for Bergen?) so we were forced to shelter in the little souvenir shop for a bit. And lo and behold....we bumped into some friends of friends from Adelaide....for those in the know it was Lorraine and Jude who are living here for a year. Lyn didnt believe me when I said I thought I recognised the women standing at the counter (we have not met anyone from outside Norway here yet let alone anyone from Adelaide) so I skirted around them until I heard one of them say something and then I was in like Flynn! They were showing a woman around who had just arrived from Darwin so we had a drink together and will probably catch up with them tomorrow night for dinner. Great to speak more than a few words of English (other than with Lyn) with some friendly faces. Afterwards we strolled around Bergen through a very beautiful section called the Bryggen...fascinating very old buildings. We also went to their equivalent of our christmas earth fair. The weather was very kind to us with even a few blue skies peeking out every now and then...but did have the odd shower or 2. Lyn is busy making waffles (courtesy of the hotel) which are smelling delicious (anything free keeps us happy!!!). On Tuesday we will be on our way home....not really looking forward to the flights and the stopover in Singapore (17 hours...yuk...but we do have a day room). We will try to bring some of the rain with us (not enough to delay our flights though)...but you can't have it until after the Test Match is over!!!
Oh by the way Christine...we have an even better photo than that of the plaits and Mickey Mouse ears...but we won't be able to publish it until we get home....but trust me....it will be a goodie!!!!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry i missed my usual friday "Travels with Lyn & Jill" but stayed home to do marking so you may not get this last message from me. Thanks sooo much for your blog, it has been very entertaining & newsy ! have loved all of your entries! Can't believe that you'll be home this week! WOW! Bumped into Suzanne & Joan @ picnic in the park yesterday & we spoke of you. Lyn there's an ASSDS meeting @ Valda's this Sunday.. maybe you'll be @ the cricket? Will catch up with you REAL SOOON, hope you flight back is ok. Ta for the pseudo holiday, luv Chris. HM hrs should I set aside to see ALL pics???

4:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, Sue here from Niagara Falls. I;m keping up with your travels and your trip is done. I think it will be nice to get into your own beds. The weather here has turned to spring. 15 out today and sunny. Had to open all the windows and air out the house. It looks funy with the Christmas decorations when is so warm. I even got a new rose on the bush. Get home safely. Love Sue

8:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have a safe journey home - enjoy Singapore !
Tony and Annette

8:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Lyn and Jill,

What an escape, having been catching up after not being on your blog for a while. Just the trick, rather envious though and can't wait to hear more when you get back Lyn. Have fun on the return flight, though you will probably just want to get back, though I can't understand the attraction of the cricket, especially if it is as easy as the first match. See you soon. Teresa

9:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home